A champion of naturalism & humanism, Tagore’s words would never fail to inspire and motivate. Here are some of the best quotes by Rabindranath Tagore, that are timeless.
A man who had magic in his words, Rabindranath Tagore was not just a novelist & poet, but a man of great philosophy and farsightedness.
India’s first Nobel laureate (and the first Non-European to get the Nobel), Tagore’s words ignited a revolution during the early 20th Century.
A philosopher, social reformer, and patriot – Tagore gave away the famous title of ‘Knighthood’ after the British killed hundreds of innocent Indians at Jallianwallahbagh in 1919.
Even after 150 years of his birth, Indians are indebted to him for gifting the most beautiful National Anthem, and so are the people of Bangladesh.
Being ahead of his time, he introduced the concept of open schooling, and implemented his ideas in Shanti Niketan (West Bengal, India) where even today, classes are held under the open sky!
Quotes By Rabindranath Tagore:
1. If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
2. You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.
3. I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
4. The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
5. Reach high, for stars lie hidden in you. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.
6. Love’s gift cannot be given, it waits to be accepted.
7. A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.
8. Most people believe the mind to be a mirror, more or less accurately reflecting the world outside them, not realizing on the contrary that the mind is itself the principal element of creation.
9. If I can’t make it through one door, I’ll go through another door- or i’ll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.
10. Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
11. The roots below the earth claim no rewards for making the branches fruitful.
12. Inspiration follows aspiration.
13. The little flower lies in the dust. It sought the path of the butterfly.
14. The Stronger is the imagination the less imaginary it is.
15. Perfect gain is the best of all; but if that is impossible, then the next best gain is perfect losing.
16. The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.
17. Happiness is like those stars. They don’t cover all the darkness; there are gaps between. We make mistakes in life and we misunderstand, and yet there remain gaps through which truth shines.
18. The highest mission of education is to help us to realise the inner principle of the unity of all knowledge and all the activities of our social and spiritual being.
19. When we express our thought in words, the medium is not found easily. There must be a process of translation, which is often inexact, and then we fall into error.
20. The Creator will find it difficult to recognize it as a thing of spirit and a creature made in His own divine image.
21. n love we find a joy which is ultimate because it is the ultimate truth.