The Forty Rules of Love is a book written by the Turkish female author Elif Shafak. It is a guide to finding true love. Here we have collected some of the best quotes from the 40 Rules of Love book, which will inspire you to love and life.
The book is based on the belief that there are certain rules that must be followed in order to find and keep true love. The book claims that if these rules are followed, then true love will be found.
Some of the rules include being honest with yourself, being open to love, being willing to work on yourself, and being patient.
You can also get the 40 rules of love that Shams of Tabriz had shared in this precious book.
1. “East, West, South or North makes little difference. No matter what your destination, just be sure to make every journey, a journey within. If you travel within, you’ll travel the whole wide world and beyond.”
2. “Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?”
3. “Every true love and friendship is a story of unexpected transformation. If we are the same person before and after we loved, that means we haven’t loved enough.”
4. “Whatever happens in your life, no matter how troubling things might seem, do not enter the neighborhood of despair. Even when all doors remain closed, God will open up a new path only for you. Be thankful!”
5. “Intellect and love are made of two different materials. Intellect ties people in knots and risks nothing, but love dissolves all tangles and risks everything. Intellect is always cautious and advises, “Beware too much ecstasy,” whereas Love says, “Oh never mind. Take the plunge!” Intellect does not easily break down, whereas love can effortlessly reduce itself to rubble. But treasures are hidden amongst ruins. A broken heart hides treasure.”
6. “Where there is love, there is bound to be heartache.”
7. “You can study God through everything and everyone in the universe, because God is not confined in a mosque, synagogue or church. But if you are still in need of knowing exactly where his abode is, there is only one place to look for him: in the heart of a true lover.”
8. “The words that come out of our mouths do not vanish but are perpetually stored in infinite space, and they will come back to us in due time.”
9. “Do not go with the flow. Be the flow.”
10. “What we need is sincere self-examination. Not being on the watch for the fault of others.”
11. “Some people make the mistake of confusing ‘submission’ with ‘weakness,’ whereas it is anything but. Submission is a form of peaceful acceptance of the terms of the universe, including the things we are currently unable to change or comprehend.”
12. “I hunt everywhere for a life worth living and a knowledge worth knowing. Having roots nowhere, I have everywhere to go.”
13. “Finally I understood that whenever people heard something unusual, they called it a dream”
14. “Fret not where the road will take you. Instead concentrate on the first step. That’s the hardest part and that’s what you are responsible for.”
15. “No matter what your destination, just be sure to make every journey a journey within.”
16. “His honesty offended others, but he liked to provoke people to see what came out of them in moments of anger.”
17. “Be thankful for every thorn that others might throw at you. It is a sign that you will soon be showered in roses”
18. “Don’t ever take words at face value. When you step into the zone of love, language as we know it becomes obsolete. That which cannot be put into words can only be grasped through silence.”
19. “Loneliness and solitude are two different things. When you are lonely, it is easy to delude yourself into believing that you are on the right path. Solitude is better for us, as it means being alone without feeling lonely.”
20. “The quest for Love changes us. There is no seeker among those who search for Love who has not matured on the way. The moment you start looking for Love, you start to change within and without.”
21. “Just as clay needs to go through intense heat to become strong, Love can only be perfected in pain.”
22. “Your destiny is the level where you will play your tune. You might not change your instrument but how well you play is entirely in your hands.”
23. “A life without love is of no account… Love has no labels, no definitions. It is what it is, pure and simple. Love is the water of life. And a lover is a soul of fire. The universe turns differently when fire loves water.”
24. The real challenge is to love the good and the bad together, not because you need to take the rough with the smooth but because you need to go beyond such descriptions and accept love in its entirety.”
25. “ Quit worrying about hell or dreaming about heaven, as they are both present inside this very moment. Every time we fall in love, we ascend to heaven. Every time we hate, envy, or fight someone, we tumble straight into the fires of hell.”
26. “The way to a man’s heart can sometimes take a woman far away from herself, my dear.”
27. “Neither a drop of kindness nor a speck of evil will remain unreciprocated.”
28. “You can purify your body through fasting and abstinence, but only love will purify your heart.”
29. “If you want to strengthen your faith, you will need to soften inside. For your faith to be rock solid, your heart needs to be as soft as a feather.”
30. “The past is an interpretation. The future is an illusion. The world does not move through time as if it were a straight line, proceeding from the post to the future. Instead Time moves through and within us, in endless spirals. Eternity does not mean infinite time, but simply timelessness. If You want to experience eternal illumination, put the past and the future out of your mind and remain within the present moment.”
31. “Things that can seem malicious or unfortunate are often a blessing in disguise, whereas things that might seem pleasant can be harmful in the long run.”
If you have already read this book, share your favourite quote in the comment section below.