Abraham Lincoln quotes on life offer timeless wisdom and insight that can be applied to our own lives today. His words remind us that it’s not the years in our life that count, but the life in our years.
Abraham Lincoln was one of the most influential and important figures in American history. He was born in 1809 in Kentucky and grew up in a rural, frontier environment. Lincoln was self-educated and became a lawyer in Illinois. He married Mary Todd in 1842 and they had four children.
Lincoln was elected to the Illinois state legislature in 1834 and served for eight years. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1846 but only served one term.
Lincoln became a leading figure in the new Republican Party and was nominated for president in 1860. He ran against Democrat Stephen Douglas in a heated election and won.
Lincoln’s election led to the secession of several southern states and the outbreak of the Civil War. Lincoln served as commander-in-chief of the Union army and worked to preserve the Union.
He also issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves in the rebel states. Lincoln was assassinated in 1865 by John Wilkes Booth.
Here we’ve handpicked some of the best Abraham Lincoln quotes to make you cherish honor and become a better person.
Inspirational Abraham Lincoln Quotes on Life and Leadership:
1. “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”
2. “Whatever you are, be a good one.”
3. “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?”
4. “My Best Friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read.”
5. “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.”
6. “I’m a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.”
7. “Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new after all.”
8. “When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.”
9. “Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves”
10. “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.”
11. “Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.”
12. “There are no bad pictures; that’s just how your face looks sometimes.”
13. “I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how a man could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.”
14. “Those who look for the bad in people will surely find it.”
15. “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.”
16. “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.”
17. “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”
18. “I would rather be a little nobody, then to be a evil somebody.”
19. “Character is like a tree and reputation its shadow. The shadow is what we think it is and the tree is the real thing.”
20. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.”
21. “The best way to predict your future is to create it.”
22. “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
23. “The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.”
24. “No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar”
25. “All I have learned, I learned from books.”
26. “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”
27. “You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”
28. “Every man’s happiness is his own responsibility.”
29. “I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”
30. “I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.”
31. “It’s not me who can’t keep a secret. It’s the people I tell that can’t.”
32. “The Lord prefers common-looking people. That is why he made so many of them.”
33. “It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.”
34. “You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.”
35. “You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.”
36. “You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry”
37. “It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.”
38. “I am not concerned that you have fallen — I am concerned that you arise.”
39. “I don’t know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.”
40. “When I get ready to talk to people, I spend two thirds of the time thinking what they want to hear and one third thinking about
41. “Be with a leader when he is right, stay with him when he is still right, but, leave him when he is wrong.”
42. “I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.”
43. “You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.”