Dalai Lama has devoted his life to the pursuit of humanitarian and environmental causes, and is dedicated to global peace and compassion. So enjoy these inspirational Dalai Lama quotes and spread the love and positivity around the world.
“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.” ― His Holiness The Dalai Lama.
Kindness, empathy, and compassion are the core of his teachings – and when you’d look at him mindfully, there’s a certain sense of peace that dwells on his face.
Yes, we are talking about the great spiritual leader from Tibet – The Dalai Lama. His Holiness Tenzin Gyatso (also known by the name Lhamo Thondup) is the fourteenth & the longest-reigning Dalai Lama and at the age of 85 years, he’s still spreading the message of love and brotherhood, peace and freedom.
Being born in Tibet, His Holiness studied Buddhism from a very early age and when he was 16-years-old, he spoke up for a free and democratic Tibet, which sparked a Chinese military occupation of the province in 1959.
He was forced to leave Tibet along with his supporters – and he came to India, where he has lived ever since. His pursuit of humanitarian and environmental causes, as well as global peace, fetched him the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1989.
Having written several bestselling and inspirational books, his words would never fail to motivate you.
Here are some of the soul-stirring Dalai Lama quotes that would make you feel enlightened.
1. Silence is sometimes the best answer.
2. Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.
3. To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.
4. The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self.
5. True change is within; leave the outside as it is.
6. No matter how educated or wealthy you are, if you don’t have peace of mind, you won’t be happy.
7. Real change in the world will only come from a change of heart.
8. Anger and hatred are signs of weakness, while compassion is a sure sign of strength.
9. The planet does not need more successful people. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of all kinds.
10. The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your action will be.
11. Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.
12. Our visit to this planet is short, so we should use our time meaningfully, which we can do by helping others wherever possible.
13. Love and compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.
14. As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all beings.
15. A disciplined mind leads to happiness, and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering.
16. The ultimate source of happiness is not money and power, but warmheartedness.
17. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
18. If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry.
19. When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.
20. We must recognize that the suffering of one person or one nation is the suffering of humanity.
21. For our life to be of value, I think we must develop basic good human qualities — warmth, kindness, compassion. Then our life becomes meaningful and more peaceful — happier.
22. Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.
23. The remedy is to look deeper and recognize that we human beings are physically, mentally and emotionally the same.
24. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
25. Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.
26. Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.
27. The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred.
28. Open your arms to change but don’t let go of your values.
29. I believe the ultimate source of blessings is within us.
30. Spend some time alone every day.
31. Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.
32. Sleep is the best meditation.
32. An open heart is an open mind.
33. If your heart has peace, nothing can disturb you.
34. In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.
35. Proper utilization of time is so important. While we have this body, and especially this amazing human brain, I think every minute is something precious.
36. We all have the power of thought – so what are you lacking? If you have willpower, then you can change anything.
37. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
38. If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
39. Anger or hatred is like a fisherman’s hook. It is very important for us to ensure that we are not caught by it.
40. If I am only happy for myself, many fewer chances for happiness. If I am happy when good things happen to other people, billions more chances to be happy!
41. Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
42. Instead of looking to blame others and the world around us, we should first look within ourselves.
43. We are the controller of the technology. If we become a slave of technology, then that’s not good.
44. Develop the heart. Too much energy in your country is spent developing the mind instead of the heart.
45. Look at situations from all angles, and you will become more open.
46. Instead of wondering WHY this is happening to you, consider why this is happening to YOU.
47. Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. Wise persons think of others, helping them as much as they can, and the result is happiness.
48. There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow. Today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live.
49. If you can cultivate the right attitude, your enemies are your best spiritual teachers because their presence provides you with the opportunity to enhance and develop tolerance, patience and understanding.
50. You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion, you must do what you can to stop them — for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions.
So now your turn to spread the positivity to the world by sharing them to your circle. Which of the quote inspired you a lot, let us know in the comment section below.